BMW recommends the use of a reset tool.
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Press and hold the TRIP ODOMETER button in the instrument cluster and turn the ignition to Accessory.
3. Keep the button pressed for 5 seconds until OIL SERVICE RESET (RE) or INSPECTION RESET (RE) appears in the display. Then release the button.
4. Press and hold the button again for 5 seconds until RE or RESET flashes in the display. Then release the button.
5. With the display flashing
6. Turn the ignition off and start the engine to verify the indicator has been reset.
“Resetting the service reminder indicator (SRI), model years 2002-
The service reminder indicator (SRI) informs the driver that it is time for the car to be serviced. The text message is displayed for 120s each time the ignition is switched on.
Proceed as follows to reset the service reminder indicator (SRI):
1.Ignition position I
2. Press and hold in the reset button for the trip odometer
3. Ignition position II. Note! Turn the key to position II within 2 seconds
4. Hold the reset button for the trip meter pressed in until the original value has been reset. Note! For all vehicles from the 2003 model year a general yellow lamp will light when the reset button must be released
5. Release the reset button for the trip odometer within 4 seconds. The instrument gives an audible signal when resetting has succeeded
6. If the trip meter is already reset the reset button should be held in for a minimum of 10 seconds and a maximum of 14 seconds.
Note! If the reset button for the trip odometer is not released within 4 seconds, the service reminder indicator (SRI) is not reset.”